We take customer service seriously and aim to make your rights and entitlements as clear as possible. Use the left-hand navigation to read our policies on privacy, cancellations, returns and age restrictions.
Last Updated: 5 September 2013
The Book People Limited ("we" and "our") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy so that you can shop with confidence at www.thebookpeople.co.uk ("our site")
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting our site you are consenting to the practices described in this Policy.
We recommend that you print and retain a copy for your future reference.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"), the data controller is The Book People Limited (company number 02290665) of Catteshall Manor, Catteshall Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1UU.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you: Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, provide feedback on our services, search for a product, place an order on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and telephone number. We will always take care to ensure your payment card details are kept safe and secure, in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). Your card details will be stored on a server behind a secure firewall, and only a limited number of authorised employees will be able to access this informationInformation we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we receive from other sources.
We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers and search information providers) and may receive information about you from them.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
(a) Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, to get your feedback on what you thought of the service and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to allocate rewards in accordance with any of our loyalty reward schemes which may be in place from time to time;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
(b) Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
(c) Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information including but not limited to your name and addresses with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information (but never your email addresses or telephone numbers) with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets..
- If The Book People Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets; or
Where we store your personal data
All content on this site including text, graphics, logos, images, and software is the property of the Book People and its affiliates, and is protected by the UK & International copyright laws.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the site.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain un-ticked boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us in writing at the address set out in the Contact section of this Policy.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and cookie policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Updating the information
Provided that you inform us of any changes, the information we hold will be accurate and up to date.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Any changes we may make to our Policy in the future will be posted on this page. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our Policy.
Your continued use of our site after any modification to this Policy will constitute your acceptance of such modification.
This Policy was last updated on 3 September 2013
Last Updated: 5 September 2013
What is a cookie?
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our site, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our site. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our site, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our site and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
The table below provides further information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them:
Website platform essential cookies
JSESSIONID & WC_SESSION_ESTABLISHED & WC_ACTIVE_POINTER & WC_USERACTIVITY_XXX & WC_GENERIC_ACTIVITYDATA & WC_AUTHENTICATION & DISPLAYNAME
|Product Recommendation Cookies||_avail_session_ & _avail_data_ & e11dc188-f931-11df-a564-12313b032222||These two cookies enable us to recommend and advertise books and other products based on your past purchases or browsing history.|
|Google Analytics||_utma_ & _utmb_ & _utmc_ & _utmx_ & _utmv_ & _utmz_||Each of these cookie enables us: |
|IBM Coremetrics Analytics||cmTPSet & XXX_login & cmRS & XXX_reset & CoreID6 & TestSess3|| |
Each of these cookie enables us:
|Yahoo paid search tracking||ysm_XXX & BX||This cookie enables us track the effectiveness of our advertising spend with the search engine Yahoo.|
|Live Person livechat software||LivePersonID & HumanClickKey & HumanClickSiteContainerID & HumanClickSiteContainerID & HumanClickCHATKEY & ASPSESSIONIDABRABRR||These cookies are essential for the use of our Livechat customer support facility|
|Webgains affiliate tracking||Wgid & /ctr.html & wgdctex-418 & wgs418 & wgc0||These cookies enable us to track referrals from affiliate advertising sources.|
|Google Adwords||test_cookie & id||These cookies enable us to track the effectiveness of our advertising spend with the search engine Google.|
Third party cookies
Most web browsers (such as Internet Explorer, FireFox and Safari) are set to automatically accept cookies as the by default setting. If you don’t want to receive cookies or other tracking technologies, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies or to prompt you before accepting such a cookie. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. The "Help" function within your browser should tell you how.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Policy are welcomed and should be made in writing to the following address:
The Data Protection Officer
The Book People
Alternatively, you can contact us directly at email@example.com