James Patterson is an incredibly popular author but how much do you know about him? Find out all about the man behind the Alex Cross series with these 9 thrilling facts about James Patterson...
1. James is the current Guinness World Record holder for having written the most #1 New York Times bestsellers.
And, he has sold a staggering 350 million books worldwide.
2. James grew up in New York and started writing casually when he was 19.
He was the son of an insurance salesman and a schoolteacher.
3. Before publishing his first novel he was the CEO of the North American branch of J. Walter Thompson, an advertising agency.
He started at the company as a junior copywriter before working his way up to CEO!
4. In 1977, he won the Edgar Award for Best First Novel by an American.
He won for his book The Thomas Berryman Number.
5. James is the first author in history to have #1 books on the New York Times Adult and Children's Bestseller lists at the same time!
His most popular adult books include his Alex Cross series and his most exciting children's books include his Middle School series.
6. As well as writing terrific books, James has also worked as a film producer.
Since 1989, James has worked as a producer on 10 films, including film and TV adaptations of his own books.
7. James has donated to universities and school libraries as he believes books are hugely important to education (and we agree!).
Some universities James has donated to include the University of Wisconsin, Vanderbilt University, and Manhattan College.
8. Not only is he one of the world's most popular authors, he was also, according to the Forbe's list, the highest-paid author in 2016 for the third consecutive year.
Last year James has an income of $95 million!
9. James has written more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today.
His most memorable characters are found in Alex Cross, Maximum Ride, Women's Murder Club, Michael Bennett, NYPD Red, Daniel X, and Middle School series.
Take a look through our collection of James Patterson books to see what amazing stories you can find.