Dr. Seuss wrote a plethora of fantastically fun and exuberant books, including The Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who and Green Eggs and Ham. See below for some of our favourite Dr. Seuss quotes.
1. 'I know it is wet
And the sun is not sunny.
But we can have
Lots of good fun that is funny!'
2. 'Then NEW troubles came!
From above! From below!
A Skritz at my neck! And a Skrink at my toe!
And now I was really in trouble, you know.'
- I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew
3. 'Who sews whose socks?
Sue sews Sue's socks.
Who sees who sew
whose new socks, sir?
You see Sue sew
Sue's new socks, sir.'
4. 'I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.'
5. 'That can't be my story. That's only a start.
I'll say that a ZEBRA was pulling that cart!
And that is a story that no one can beat,
When I say that I saw it on Mulberry Street.'
6. 'My brothers read a little bit.
Little words like if and it.
My father can read big words, too
Like CONSTANTINOPLE and TIMBUKTU.'
- Hop on Pop
7. 'Up past the North Pole, where the frozen winds squeal,
I'll go and I'll hunt in my Skeegle-mobile
And bring back a family of What-do-you-know!
And that's how my New Zoo, McGrew Zoo, will grow.'
- If I Ran the Zoo
8. '"Should I put this speck down?" Horton thought with alarm.
"If I do, these small persons may come to great harm.
I can't put it down. And I won't! After all
A person's a person. No matter how small."'
9. 'The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.'
10. 'But we know a man called Mr Gump.
Mr. Gump has a seven hump Wump.
So... if you like to go Bump! Bump!
just jump on the hump of the Wump of Gump.'
11. 'Oh, you get so many hunches
that you don't know ever quite
if the right hunch is a wrong hunch!
Then the wrong hunch might be right!'
- Hunches in Bunches
12. 'The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches
And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches.
That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars
And whether they had one, or not, on thars.'
- The Sneetches
13. 'Oh, the wonderful things Mr. Brown can do!
He can go like a cow. He can go MOO MOO.
Mr. Brown can do it. How about you?'
14. 'A yawn is quite catching, you see. Like a cough.
It just takes one yawn to start other yawns off.
NOW the news has come in that some friends of Van Vleck's
Are yawning so wide you can look down their necks.'
15. 'You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.'