E. B. White's classic children's novel, Charlotte's Web, has been a treasured tale ever since its publication in 1952. Starring the courageous Fern, the loyal little pig Wilbur and the eponymous wise and kind-hearted spider, Charlotte, it's no wonder so many people have come to love this poignant story. For a reminder of why it is cherished by so many readers, see below for our favourite E. B. White quotes from Charlotte's Web.
1. "Why did you do all this for me?" he asked. "I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you."
"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing."
2. A spider's web is stronger than it looks. Although it is made of thin, delicate strands, the web is not easily broken.
3. "Never hurry and never worry!"
4. "Can I have a pig, too, Pop?" asked Avery.
"No, I only distribute pigs to early risers," said Mr. Arable. "Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of injustice. As a result, she now has a pig. A small one, to be sure, but nevertheless a pig. It just shows what can happen if a person gets out of bed promptly."
5. Wilbur didn't want food, he wanted love.
6. In good time he was to discover that he was mistaken about Charlotte. Underneath her rather bold and cruel exterior, she had a kind heart, and she was to prove loyal and true to the very end.
7. From one to two, Wilbur planned to sleep. From two to three, he planned to scratch itchy places by rubbing against the fence. From three to four, he planned to stand perfectly still and think of what it was like to be alive, and to wait for Fern.
8. Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch.
9. The night seemed long. Wilbur's stomach was empty and his mind was full. And when your stomach is empty and your mind is full, it's always hard to sleep.
10. Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart.
If you loved these quotes, take a look at our selection of E. B. White books.