Last update: 1 October 2013
PLEASE READ THIS POLICY CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SITE
Other applicable terms
- Our Acceptable Use Policy, which sets out the permitted uses and prohibited uses of our site. When using our site, you must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy.
- If you purchase goods from our site, our Terms and Conditions of supply will apply to the sales.
Information about us
- We operate the website www.thebookpeople.co.uk. We are The Book People Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 02290665 and with our registered office (and main trading address) is at Salisbury House, Weyside Park, Catteshall Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1XE. Out VAT number is 664509028.
- To contact us, please use our Contact Us page
Changes to these terms
- Please check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we made, as they are binding on you.
Accessing our site
- Our site is made available free of charge,
- We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
- You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site.
Your account and password
- If you choose, or are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
- We have the right to disable any user identification code or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at any time, if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these are identification code or password, you must promptly notify us as email@example.com.
- You need to have a registered account in order to use any promotion codes. If you have a code, please enter it at the checkout for it to be applied. Some promotion codes cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions.
- We reserve the right to withdraw or amend a promotion at any time.
- Items redeemed with Book Points are excluded from any promotion unless otherwise stated. You cannot earn Book Points on selected promotional items.
- A promotion may be amended or withdrawn at any time.
- Free or discounted delivery promotions are only applied to Standard Delivery costs. Some areas may incur a surcharge. Free postage offers are only applied to orders with a payment value.
- Promotions and discounts that lead to a zero value basket will be charged at the standard rates.
- Please note that promotional codes and discounts will not apply to eBooks
Competition terms and conditions
- No purchase is necessary.
- Promotions are open to everyone (unless otherwise stated) in the UK and Eire, and closed to our employees and their families or anyone else connected with the promotions.
- Closing date and details of prizes are as stated in relevant entry details. Entries must be received by the closing date given in the relevant entry details.
- No cash alternative will be offered to prizes.
- Where the prize comprises an event at a particular location travel expenses to and from that location are not included in the prize unless otherwise stated.
- Only one entry per person per promotion.
- Winners will be selected as set out in the relevant entry details. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The address for entry is the postal or e-mail address provided in the relevant entry details
- The winners will be notified by the date provided in the relevant entry details.
- For the details of the winners, send an S.A.E. marked 'TBP Competition Winners' to The Book People, Salisbury House, Weyside Park, Catteshall Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1XE, at least one week after the winner's notification date.
- No responsibility will be taken for entries that are damaged, illegible, incomplete, and lost or delayed in the post or otherwise fail to reach us by the closing date. Entry forms will not be returned to entrants.
- Entries will not be accepted via agents, third parties or in bulk. Any such entries will be invalid.
- Competition winners may be required to take part in or co-operate with publicity.
- By entering the Competition you agree that:
- your entry can be used by the us as we see fit; and
- your entry is original to you and not wholly or substantially copied from any other material.
- We will only use entrants' personal information in connection with these promotions. All personal details will be destroyed once the winner has been announced.
- It is a condition of entry that all entrants agree to be bound by these rules and are asked to retain a copy of these rules for any future reference.
- For prize draws where a value of books is given as the prize, (e.g. ‘£200 worth of books’) please note that the value corresponds to the RRP price of these books and they will be selected from our bestseller list. These prizes are non-returnable and cannot be exchanged.
- We reserve the right to remove prize draws or competitions at any time.
Intellectual property rights
- We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
- You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
- You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
No reliance on information
- The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
- Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
Limitation of our liability
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to our site or any content on it, whether express or implied.
- We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in
- use of, or inability to use, our site; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site.
- If you are a business user, please note that in particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
- If you are a consumer user, please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
- We assume no responsibility for the content of websites linked on our site. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any goods by use to you, which will be set out in our Terms and conditions of supply.
Uploading content to our site
- Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. If you are a consumer user, this means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
- Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary, and we have the right to use, copy, distribute and disclose to third parties any such content for any purpose.
- We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
- We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any content posted by you or any other user of our site.
- We have the right to remove any posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values.
- We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
- You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software.
- You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
Linking to our site
- You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
- Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
- We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- If you wish to make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third party links and resources in our site
- Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only.
- We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
The below trade marks are the UK registered trade marks of The Book People Li
UK trade mark number Trade mark UK00002291611 TED SMART UK00002460438 THE BOOK PEOPLE UK00002460439 THE BOOK PEOPLE UK0000248039 INDEX BOOKS UK0002484036A UK000248036B Uk00002249100 UK0002249101A THE RED HOUSE UK0002249101B THE RED HOUSE
To contact us, please email email@example.com.
Thank you for visiting our site.