The Midland & South Western Junction Railway was formed in 1884 by amalgamation of the Swindon, Marlborough & Andover and the Swindon & Cheltenham Extension railways. It provided a north-south link between the Midland and the London & South Western railways through the heartland of the Great Western Railway. It also served several military establishments in Wiltshire. It joined the Banbury & Cheltenham Direct Railway at Andoversford with running rights to Cheltenham; its junction with the L&SWR was at Andover. Passing west of the GWR station at Swindon, it is sometimes referred to as `Swindon's Other Railway' but was absorbed by the GWR in 1923. The line was closed by British Railways in 1961, apart from a few freight sections that had gone by 1970. The Swindon & Cricklade heritage railway is recreating some of the line from its base at Blunsdon. Several sections of the trackbed have been converted to pleasant walking and cycling routes.
Product code: BRNHI
Publisher: Amberley Publishing
Dimensions: 16.5cm x 23.4cm
Publish date: 15/08/2018
Help our customers make the best choices by telling everyone what you think about this product.
There are currently no customer reviews for this product. Why not be the first?